Monday, November 7, 2011

Warm the Soul - Caramel Apple Cake

'Tis the season, right?

There is something about waking up to snow on the ground that just makes a person want to stay warm in their pajamas all day and bake.
We've been doing that more than is probably appropriate lately.  In fact, the other day at about 7pm my 3-year-old little boy said to me, "Mom, you can't just leave me in my pajamas all day."

Wanna bet? :)

Anyway, I made this cake a few weeks back for a family birthday party and it really was perfect for this time of year.  My sister-in-law said, "it tastes like fall in my mouth."  I don't know exactly what that means, but she seemed to like it, so I'm taking it as a good thing!

So, if you need a good "fall" dessert recipe, here you go!

Caramel Apple Cake


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
4 cups unsweetened applesauce
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325-degrees. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans and one 8 inch square cake pan thoroughly (or just three 9 inch rounds if you have three).  ** I don't have three round pans, and I'm not good at stacking my cakes three high, so I made a two layer cake, and frosted the square one separately and sent it to work with my husband. :)

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined.

Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves together into a separate large bowl.

Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredient bowl in three parts.  First add a third of the flour mixture, then half of the applesauce.  Third of flour mixture, then half the applesauce.  Then the final third of the flour mixture.  Scrape down the bowl, then mix on low speed for a few more seconds.

Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Place the pans on a wire rack and cool for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and turn the cakes out onto the rack and let cool completely.

Topping

Caramel Buttercream

1½ cups sugar
1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1⁄3 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, soft but cool, cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1⁄3 cup plus 2 tablespoons Caramel Sauce, at room temperature

Directions

In a medium saucepan, whisk the sugar and flour together. Add the milk and cream and cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil and has thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat on high speed until cool. Reduce the speed to low and add the butter and vanilla; mix until thoroughly incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.

Add 1⁄3 cup of the caramel and continue mixing until combined. If the frosting is too soft, put the bowl in the refrigerator to chill slightly, then beat again until it is the proper consistency. If the frosting is too firm, set the bowl over a pot of simmering water and beat with a wooden spoon until it is the proper consistency.
 
Assembly
 
Place first layer of round cake on serving tray.  Spread thin layer of extra caramel sauce over the top of the cake then top with a layer of frosting.  Place second layer of cake on top of frosting.  Spread another thin layer of caramel on the top of the cake, then cover the entire cake with a thin layer of frosting.  Place in fridge for 30 minutes.  Remove and frost entire cake. 
 
Optional -- Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the entire cake and dust sides with Heath Toffee Bits. Yum.  I say optional... but really?  Just do it!
 
 
 
* I originally saw this recipe on The Great Cake Company.  She's like an actual chef, owns a cake shop and everything... not like me, I'm just a pretender.  So, her recipe is amazing and includes things like homemade applesauce and homemade caramel sauce.  I just fake my way through baking, and if there's a way for me to make it go a little more quickly, I do it.  I always take a shortcut when it comes to cooking.
 

So, I've just "shortened" the recipe down a little bit here, but hers is perfect and divine.  Looking at her blog makes me want to try everything!  One day, when I become more than a pretender, I'm going to make this again with her homemade applesauce.  Yum!

10 comments:

  1. I think this looks like the most delicious thing I've ever laid eyes on. Carmel apple is one of my favorite flavors!! I'll have to try this! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is going right. I'm going to enter all the giveaways listed above! I always finding a latest and new idea of designing cakes, and your blog is best for it.
    Promosyon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my - that looks absolutely delicious :)

    Love for you to join my Linky Party - JAQS "Made by ME" at http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/11/made-by-me-6-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drool, Drool! OMG, does that look good. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delish. I would love it if you would link it up to our linky party going right now.
    http://junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-it-up-wednesday_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy!! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!


    Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! This looks fabulous! I'd love for you to stop by for my Friday Favorites party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!!

    Stephanie
    chocolatecoveredbuttons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, yum!
    Thanks for sharing at Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete